THE CENTRAL CONTROL ROOM, THE BRAIN OF THE SYSTEM
M5 is a driverless light rail transit controlled by a single Central Control Room (CCR) to which all information is sent and from which any commands necessary to ensure the proper functioning of the line and the safety of passengers, operating (itinerant agents) and maintenance personnel and citizens can be issued.
The Central Control Room is located entirely underground in the Depot/Workshop at the Bignami Station.
The management activities of the M5 Line service performed in the Central Control Room mainly include:
- automatic traffic management;
- remote control of electric traction and power systems;
- video surveillance and control of passenger movements in the trains and stations, as well as access to the station;
- management and coordination of itinerant agents, maintenance staff and operational personnel;
- management of information to the public and guarantee of a high level of passenger control and safety;
- management of any alarms and system diagnostics;
- event logging and central time management.